[BlueOnyx:06653] vacation.pl oddities

Roy Urick rurick at usa.net
Fri Mar 11 11:26:52 -05 2011

This is a little bit OT, but I know a lot of you are familiar with BQ as
well.

We are currently running a BQ server, and are in the process of migrating
away to a BlueOnyx server. We aren't quite ready to pull the trigger on the
migration due to hardware that is still in transit, but we have a major
issue with our old box that needs desperate attention in the interim.

We have a handful of users that when they activate the vacation reply, it
starts vacation.pl and pegs out the CPU for each message inbound with no
apparent output. Eventually the user account will have multiple instances of
vacation.pl running to the point the CPU is maxed at 100%, sendmail crashes,
the GUI locks, etc. Other users don't seem to have any problems with it and
it runs fine.

I've seen google results where gurus like Gerald Waugh and others have
somewhat reproduced the problem but cant find a solution, I've had others
look at our box and come to the same (lack of) conclusion.

Even though the user's account  who caused the last problem has been reset
to turn off the script it continues to flare up intermittently. It appears
that Its time to disable it for the short term so it cant possibly run.

What is the best (most stable and reliable) way to disable vacation.pl so it
cant possibly run? Rename it so it cant be found by other scripts that call
it? Add something to the first line to make it exit immediately if it does
get called?