[BlueOnyx:06741] Re: Mysql

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Thu Mar 17 21:02:01 -05 2011

When you first load the box - there is no MySQL root user password.  In the GUI - leave that "Current Password" block blank and put in the new password you want for the root MySQL user.

If that doesn't work - you might have accidentally put in a password and now don't know what it is.  In that case, change it from the command line.  As root - use the commands

service mysqld stop

/usr/bin/mysqld_safe   --datadir="$datadir" --socket="$socketfile" --log-error="$errlogfile" --pid-file="$mypidfile" –skip-grant-tables >/dev/null 2>&1 &

Make sure that command is all on one line - or it won't work.

mysqladmin -u root password ‘mynewpassword’

Be sure you use single quotes around that new password like 'mynewpassword'.  Then simply restart the MySQL server with "service mysqld restart".

Test to be sure you can get in with the new password by accessing the MySQL client from the command line with "mysql -u root -p".  The client will prompt you for the root user's password.  If you successfully get in to the MySQL prompt like mysql> -- you were successful.  Get out using the command "exit" and you've got a new MySQL root user password.

Now go into the GUI and attempt to change the password.  Use that password as the "Current Password", and put in a new password in the two blanks.

And you're done!

Good luck.

Chuck