[BlueOnyx:06785] Re: EXT3-fs error

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Mar 23 05:18:08 -05 2011

Hi Reginald,

> EXT3-fs error (device dm-2): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode
> block - inode=20374174, block=81494059
>
> I just rebooted the server and everything was fine.
>
> What may have caused this? Maybe an update of some sort?

It's not a software issue. There is a problem with the filesystem on the hard
disk. Linux has ways to work around these issues to a certain extend. If a
sector on the disk is bad, it gets marked as bad and is no longer used for
storing data.

On the really large disks that are common these days, there are bound to be a
few bad sectors over time. It's just a matter of statistics. If you're worried
about your disks health, you could take a closer look with the SMART tools
(smartctl) to get some detailed statistics.