[BlueOnyx:06803] Re: Install Zend To Solarspeed php 5.3.5 Package

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Mar 24 20:44:32 -05 2011

Hi Philip,

> I purchased the solarspeed php 5.3.5 upgrade package today and installed to
> our server.
>
> I just worked out that this php upgrade is missing the zend optimiser so my
> zencart wont run.
>
> I already have zend installed for the normal (stock) php.
>
> How can I install a later version of the zend runtime to the solarspeed php
> upgrade, if it's possible at all?

At the time that PKG was built, Zend didn't have a Zend Optimizer that would
work with PHP-5.3. There was only a beta of it available through backchannels,
which apparently was so troublesome, that I didn't dare to include it, as it
would probably fall flat on its face, taking Apache with it.

Personally I find it highly troublesome that a company like Zend (who used to
be bleeding egde when it came to PHP stuff) can't get their act together on
this - even ages after PHP-5.3.0 was released.

IonCube (Zend's competitor) had their IonCube Encoder Cerberus and the
libraries for PHP-5.3 out in pretty much no time after the release. Their
Encoder is even downwards compatible, which Zend isn't and it has a better
performance. Hell, it even costs less, so I can't really figure out why
commercial software vendors still are so attached to Zend's crappy "Optimizer"
<sigh>.

My suggestion: Contact me offlist and trade the PHP-5.3.5 in for the
PHP-5.2.17 PKG instead (at no extra charge).  The PHP-5.2.17 PKG has both Zend
Optimizer and IonCube included.