[BlueOnyx:07238] Re: POP3 Locks, with Dovecot

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri May 6 11:30:17 -05 2011

Hi Charles,

> We are having issues we have never seen before (multiple POP3 logins into
> the same accounts).
>
> I thought BO used to have POP3 mailbox locks by default?

It's a never ending story with Dovecot. Sometimes stuff works as advertised,
only to break during the next minor upgrade and the changelog gives no
indication that something related to it has been changed around. When you then
complain about it, you get told it's a feature and not a bug. :p

We turned the pop3_locks in dovecot.conf off a few versions ago, as we started
to get the same irratic behaviour that you're still seeing when you turn it
on.

Even in the best of circumstances you'll get really bad results when you have
a POP3 account that's polled simulteanously from different email clients.

In a situation like this (multiple POP3 logins on the same account from
various clients or devices), tell the clients the following:

- It ain't supported and never really was.
- They better use IMAP instead on one of the accounts. OR forward all emails
to a second (separate) account that's then used by the 2nd POP3 client.
- If they're using mobile devices, they should consider switching that mobile
device to use Z-Push (ActiveSync) instead.

So there are a few technically more solid alternatives around and everyone of
them is by far better (all things considered) than the headaches of dealing
with multiple POP3 logins to the same mailbox.