[BlueOnyx:07243] Re: New machine!!! Raid question

Jeff Folk jfolk at qzoneinc.com
Fri May 6 14:25:59 -05 2011

On May 6, 2011, at 2:09 PM, webmaster wrote:

>> On May 6, 2011, at 12:44 PM, webmaster wrote:
>>>
>>> Just picked up a DELL 1850
>>>
>>> Dual CPU's,  4 gig ram, dual Power Supplier, Dual Netowrk Cards, Raid
>>> (Hardware raid)
>>>
>>> BX installed flawlessly!!!!!
>>>
>>> Here's the question.
>>>
>>> The system Status is not recognizing the Raid.
>>>
>>> Is there a utility/tweek/update/command to make the BX recognize the Raid?
>>>
>>> It's nice to be able to log-on to the GUI and check the status
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --Tim
>>
>> BX will not recognize the hardware RAID. You might be able to
>> install linux variety of the management tool, but the GUI in BX will
>> not show anything. I think the Dell controller is a rebranded LSI unit?
>>
>> Jeff
>
> Thanks Jeff
>
> Just wanted to run it by the list to check my options
>
> My guy Jerry that sold me the box said that hardware raid is better
> than software raid and... that the software raid is what would get
> recognized by BX GUI?
>
> Thanks again

Someone else may say something different than what I said... I've only ever used software RAID. Have RAID 1+0 (4x320GB) in my BX box, and RAID 5 (3x1.5TB) in my SME server, and have never (knock on wood) had any problems... Hardware is supposedly faster, but I like the added peace of mind that I get an e-mail when there is some sort of event (like that pesky weekly rebuild).

Cheers;
Jeff