[BlueOnyx:07245] Re: New machine!!! Raid question

Abdul Rashid Abdullah webmaster at muntada.com
Fri May 6 15:32:34 -05 2011

I work with a lot of Dell machines.  I have worked on Linux but mostly
Windows when it comes to Dell.  There is something called the Dell Open
Management Server.  This utility provides you with an ability to manage
through a GUI interface everything you would like to do.

There is also the chance if you got a DRAC or ERA with the Dell (will look
like a NIC port with a little wrench) that you can do out of bound
management.  If the port exists but is blocked with black plastic plug
that means the card isn't present internally.  You can buy after market.
It allows you to turn on/off, remote console, check RAID, and setup all
the kind of hardware alerts you want.

The 1850s are several generations old right now.  The ones we have are
already at the 5 year mark and are/have been replaced with R200s.  You
should go to support.dell.com and type in the service tag to find out more
info about your box, download the latest firmware, drivers, etc.  Do all
of this before your machine goes into production.

Regards,

Rashid