[BlueOnyx:09011] Re: Saslauthd

Ken - Precision Web Hosting, Inc kenlists at precisionweb.net
Thu Nov 10 11:56:17 -05 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simone Capra @ E.R.WEB - s.r.l." <capra at erweb.it>
To: <blueonyx at mail.blueonyx.it>
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:38 AM
Subject: [BlueOnyx:09009] Saslauthd

> Hi everybody!
>
> I'm having troubles with SASLAUTHD that dies and users cannot login into
> their
> pop3 account.
>
> I am running a box with aventurine and a single virtual machine running
> blueonyx-5106R-i386-5.5_BXSOL4_20100923
>
> the problem is that sometimes (3 times in the last 24 hours) SASLAUTHD
> dies and
> users cannot login anymore....
>
> Any idea?
>
> TKS
> Simone Capra

Simone

Possibly there is a brute force password guessing type of attack on the
email accounts.
cat /var/log/maillog | grep ogin

If a dovecot restart fixes it, then you could have a cron that runs a  perl
script something like the one below to check and restart if necessary

#!/usr/bin/perl
# import package
use Net::POP3;

$errormsg = "all good";

$host = "localhost";
chomp($host);

$user = "admin";
chomp($user);

$pass = "your email account password here";
chomp($pass);

# initiate connection
# default timeout = 120 sec
$conn = Net::POP3->new($host) or die("ERROR: Unable to connect.\n");

# login
$numMsg = $conn->login($user, $pass) or $errormsg= "cannot login restart
dovecot";

if ( $errormsg =~ /cannot/ ) {
  print $errormsg;
  system ("/etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot restart");
}

# display number of messages
if ($numMsg > 0) {
    print "Mailbox has $numMsg message(s).\n";
} else {
    print "Mailbox is empty.\n";
}

# close connection