[BlueOnyx:09125] Re: Max Mem / Cores for BlueOnyx

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sun Nov 27 19:12:20 -05 2011

Michael Tadros wrote:
> Good Evening Everyone:
> I was hoping the someone can help out.   I was wondering what is the MAX #
> of Cores / CPU's and MAX MEM that the new Blue Onyx can work with.    I
> have went to the Scientific Linux Website, but have only found information
> on SL 4.4    I plan on building a server to accommodate approx 900
> websites and would like to have the most horsepower.    Thanks - Mike

Hi Michael,
The max number of cores / RAM the server will run with vs. what it
really needs may be 2 different issues.  That said, we have BlueOnyx
(5107R & 5108R) running on dual quad-core boxes w/ 32GB RAM.

900 virtual sites is a lot.  I don't question your hardware's ability to
manage it so much as what a nightmare it will be in terms of keeping
users straight, backup/restores, and general housekeeping.   My
suggestion to you would be to virtualize.  Aventurin{e} is a popular
virtualization choice for BlueOnyx users.  The nice thing is since it
shares a common interface, there's very little to learn.   Customers of
ours that are using Aventurin{e} on their dedicated and colocated
servers have been generally very pleased.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services