[BlueOnyx:08805] Revisiting a topic - email

James james at slor.net
Wed Oct 12 09:16:20 -05 2011

There was a recent thread by a user who had an issue with off-server email.
His issue ended up solved by some routing fix I think, but I still have a
problem that I believe was what folks here were initially trying to help him
solve.  Here's the scenario:

- I have multiple domains on my BX server, of course, let's call 2 of them
offsite.com and onsite.com.
- offsite.com and onsite.com were both initially set up in BX to service
email for their respective domains.
- Recently, I made a change to host email for offsite.com somewhere else
while leaving the web hosting on my BX server.  Changed MX records at the
registrar and all that good stuff.
- So, email coming in from the average joe finds its way to my new email
host quite nicely.  However, email from onsite.com (all hosted on BX server
still) to offsite.com wants to get delivered locally on the BX server.
- I tried simply ticking the "Disable Email for Domain" checkbox for
offsite.com, and all that did was make things a little worse: any mail
headed for offsite.com from onsite.com is now returned with "no such user
here", and PHP email functionality in www.onsite.com completely fails (I'm
not sure why that last one is, because it seems completely unrelated to
anything regarding offsite.com).

Perhaps Michael or someone who has been through this sort of transition
before can chime on in the proper way to solve it?  Do I need to just
manually go through the virtusertable and remove all the offsite.com aliases
as another user suggested he had to do with BQ?  Is there a more proper
solution?

Thanks!
James