[BlueOnyx:08809] /var filling up - an expected reason and resolution

Stephanie Sullivan ses at aviaweb.com
Wed Oct 12 13:15:21 -05 2011

I got a warning with one of my servers getting a /var nearly full warning.
Yow!

Upon investigation most of the space being used was taken in /var/cache.
That directory contained several others including one called yum which had
most of this space used. OK.

This was resolved by doing a "yum clean all" as root. It removed 1.5GB of
files from the /var partition.

I hope this helps someone else. I know we see /var is full or filling up
messages in the list from time to time.

On the other hand this is the first time I've seen this issue on BQ or BX,
so maybe it's a fluke. But it's easy to check and resolve so here it is.

	Thanks,
		-Stephanie