[BlueOnyx:08855] Re: yum update errors scientificlinux.org

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Oct 17 17:36:59 -05 2011

Hi Mike,

> SL did some maintenance yesterday, probably the results of that
> maintenance.  I think SL still working on some minor issues with their
> yum repository.

Yeah, I also still get the odd outage with either their first or second mirror
server.

A couple of weeks ago I set up our toplevel mirror to sync the relevant parts
of the SL YUM repository via RSYNC. So we're in the position to serve the SL
related YUM updates off the BlueOnyx mirrors as well if we want to. It's just
that I haven't yet released the YUM configs for this switchover to happen.

At this time there are roughly 600 SL based BlueOnyx 5107R and 5108R around
and their YUM related traffic will hardly put a dent into the SL mirrors. But
if that number grows, it might be sensible to offload the YUM update traffic
to our mirrors instead. But we'll see.