[BlueOnyx:08866] Re: Login manager not responsive on non valid usernames?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Oct 19 19:56:34 -05 2011

Hi Barry,

>         How many attempts will it allow?  I had
>         one a couple of weeks ago that tried
>         a dictionary attack and it ran 1700 tries.

You can configure that in the GUI. After 30 failed attempts in one hour (this
is the default) it will still accept connections from the offending host. But
even if that host then uses a valid username and password, he will still be
denied access and gets "incorrect password" as response.

PAM_ABL doesn't generate firewall rules or therelike. It simply sits on top of
the authentication mechanism PAM, which pretty much all services use.