[BlueOnyx:08885] Re: Neat blog comparing PHP handlers

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Oct 20 14:38:56 -05 2011

Hi Dan Porter,

> I have a question that is semi-related.   Openwebmail recommends using
> SpeedyCGI with it (not to be confused with FastCGI).   I do not believe
> that the pkg from Solarspeed comes with this enabled but I am curious as
> to your opinion on it.   SpeedyCGI appears to keeps the perl module in
> memory (persistent) to speed repetitive execution.  This would of course
> mean higher memory usage.   From my limited understanding, this can be
> applied to just a single set of perl scripts, such as the Openwebmail
> application, rather than site wide.
>
> Are there drawbacks to using SpeedyCGI and was it a specific choice you
> made to not include it when creating the Solarspeed Openwebmail package?

Yeah, I looked at SpeedyCGI and once created a test version of OpenWebmail
with SpeedyCGI and one without. I then tested both to see if SpeedyCGI really
made that much of an impact to justify the tremendous hassles that its
installation generates. After all: SpeedyCGI is a bit instrusive to install on
a CentOS5 or SL6 box and there are a few parts where one has to be careful not
to break things.

In the end I found the very minor speed increase not worth the hassles, as
OpenWebmail runs just fine on the regular Perl.