[BlueOnyx:10070] Re: Conf files replaced by update

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Apr 6 10:36:57 -05 2012

Hi Greg,

> The sendmail.mc file in this case is not owned by a BlueOnyx generated
> RPM. I have not specifically investigated this specific issue... but at
> face value - the file is dependent on upstream RPM files. Sometimes,
> problems in the way the upstream files are created can cause problems.

Actually it goes a little further: base-blueonyx.mod has provisions in it to
replace sendmail.mc under certain conditions.

In /usr/sausalito/configs/sendmail/ we have several "default" sendmail.mc for
BlueOnyx. The configs you find there are hand crafted to meet our needs and
there are provisions in them for either Majordomo or Mailman.

When base-blueonyx-glue gets updated or installed, it will check which
sendmail.mc is needed and rotates it in place by copying one from
/usr/sausalito/configs/sendmail/ over to /etc/mail/.

That RPM rarely gets updated and during the last big UTF-8 update it did NOT
get updated.

Then there is the script /usr/sausalito/scripts/initSendmail.sh, which is part
of base-blueonyx.mod.

It deals with setting up Sendmail and also rotates the right sendmail configs
in place under certain conditions.

These conditions are:

a) Update or install of base-blueonyx.mod
b) Update or install of base-mailman.mod
c) Update or install of base-maillist.mod
d) Update or re-install of the sendmail-cf (initiated through RPM %triggers)
e) Update or install of the Solarspeed AV-SPAM

During the big UTF-8 update either base-maillist or base-mailman got updated
on every box. So that triggered a run of initSendmail.sh and caused
sendmail.mc to be rotated.

So yes, sendmail.mc will get reverted back to the defaults under certain
situations (as listed above). That won't happen often, but it can happen.