[BlueOnyx:10081] Re: Conf files replaced by update

Stephanie Sullivan ses at aviaweb.com
Sat Apr 7 15:12:34 -05 2012

I get Greg/Michael's point. What is frustrating to me about the conf file overwriting I often see a conf file written appended with .rpmnew if an existing conf file is being respected or the old one being moved to .rpmold if a conf file is replacing the older. The latter case is particularly important to me since just overwriting conf files without saving a backup of the one being overwritten is way beyond rude.

If Centos/SL rpms for sendmail just overwrite the sendmail.mc well, I'm just amazed. So much of the redhat derived rpms honor the .rpmnew/.rpmold method I'm fairly amazed that sendmail would not.