[BlueOnyx:10105] Re: Vacation message bugs

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Tue Apr 10 12:28:23 -05 2012

Oh!  That's odd.

I've worked with the .forward file at the CLI for years and know its behavior.  But I'd never used a autoresponder till I was pushed into BlueQuartz some years back.  Back then, the vacation message was problematic - sometimes causing the CPU load to go through the roof and stay there.  So I usually just disabled the feature and didn't work with it.  And so I didn't really understand where it was activated in the process flow.

So it seems you're saying the autoresponder is a Sendmail function - something activated inside Sendmail or called by Sendmail?  Wouldn't that mean that Sendmail or its configs are modified each time a user activates or deactivates their vacation message function?  That seems a little excessive, or high-level for a user-level requirement.  But I guess if its the only to make it work....

Thanks for the education Michael.

Chuck