[BlueOnyx:10109] Problems with OpenWebMail "From" address config

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Wed Apr 11 00:30:27 -05 2012

Hi BlueOnyx experts,

I've run into a small problem and wondered if anyone else has had this happen, or how they might have fixed it.

I recently loaded a new box as my primary BX server with the new 5107R.  I cmuExported the sites from my old BX server (old 2009 version) and cmuImported them to the new box.

I did run into some problems with the OpenWebMail database files after the migration.  But the excellent tool "openwebmail-tool.pl" that Michael provided fixed those databases up.  I had to write a short script with all the usernames on the box, and leave it running overnight to do the job for all the users on the box - but it did fix the OpenWebMail mail folder databases.

Other than that, no problems at all -- till today!  A user called me about her OpenWebMail.  When she was sending messages, the popup at top was showing it coming from a strange address.  I did some investigating, and it appears her account was changed in the migration.  She had four separate e-mail addresses available for the "From" address (configured in the Edit Personal Email Addresses area).  But the migration changed them all from username at domain.tld to username at www.domain.tld.

She noticed this because it also changed her default "From" address to a different default.  And worse - it won't let me edit those "From" addresses or delete them!  I can go in time after time, log out/back in/try again - nothing seems to work.

I finally got mad, went to the CLI, and found the file where they're stored - /home/sites/www.domain.tld/users/username/.openwebmail/webmail/from.book.  I removed the three extra addresses and changed the remaining one to remove the extra "www.".  Saved the file and logged back into OpenWebMail.

Now it shows the correct default "From" address - but the four wrong ones are still there in the pulldown.  They're also still there in the "Edit Personal Email Addresses".  And the worst of all, when I got back out of that edit page - it put the four wrong ones back in the "from.book" file and deleted the one I'd corrected.  RATS!  Back at square one.

So just to keep the user happy, I made the CLI changes again and set the immutable bit on that file - so the system can't change it.  But I still can't figure out why I wasn't able to change the addresses in the GUI.  File permissions/ownerships are all correct - so that's not the problem.

And since I've seen similar behavior in BlueQuartz before - I assume that this file isn't the only place those configs are stored.  I suspect there is a database somewhere with those configurations, similar to the Cobalt Object Databases.  And that's how its putting the wrong address back in that "from.book" file.

So has anyone run into similar behavior?  Or does anyone know how to fix the system so the OpenWebMail GUI allows the user to change their "From" e-mail address?

Thanks everyone.

Chuck