[BlueOnyx:10178] Re: Yup - there's an app for that!

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Apr 18 15:49:57 -05 2012

Hi Stephanie,

> We ended up using the sitexx.include file to
>
> SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent ^SiteSucker.* goaway
> <Location /home/.sites/xx/sitexx/web>
> Order allow,deny
> Allow from all
> Deny from env=goaway
> </Location>
>
> So, want to impede a CMS based web site?

Oh, that is really nice. I like that, Stephanie. :-)

Just the other day I could have used it. I noticed that the server load of
devel.blueonyx.it was constantly hovering at around 10. I checked an both
Google and Baidu were spidering every page that the installed Trac web
frontend to the SVN had to offer. And it's a lot of pages as we by now have
roughly 1000 SVN commits.

The best part: Neither Google nor Baidu were honoring the robots.txt which
denied indexing of the /trac/ directory.

I ended up firewalling 66.249.71.0/24 and 180.76.6.0/24 to end the madness.