[BlueOnyx:10272] Re: 5106R/5107R/5108R YUM updates - more fixes published

Larry Smith lesmith at ecsis.net
Fri Apr 20 20:30:06 -05 2012

On Fri April 20 2012 08:44, Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> > Yes, it will eventually time-out and continue from the installer.
>
> No, that was fixed ages ago. The isolinux.cfg of all BlueOnyx CDs has
> "timeout=0" in it. That will make it wait indefinitely.
>
> Still: What remains is an accidential carriage return. Say you have the CD
> in the drive and the box reboots. It gets stuck at the CD boot menu. Then
> someone walks to the box, plugs in a monitor and USB-keyboard for
> debugging. And while doing so, some freak accident or other sends a
> carriage return. That can also happen via VNC console.
>
> So no, leaving the boot CD in the drive of a production box is always a bad
> idea. Accidents can happen.

I still see datacenter techs regularly press <enter> to wake up a machine;
even on one occassion when I specifically told the person "press the space
bar" so that any error messages are still on the screen, watched him press
enter, watched the screen refresh to the login and knew there was something
there that was now gone forever.....  so accident or otherwise...

--
Larry Smith
lesmith at ecsis.net