[BlueOnyx:10289] Another question on sendmail.cf and sendmail.mc

Chad Bersche chad at bersche.com
Sun Apr 22 09:02:18 -05 2012

So I have a followup question regarding the regular updates of my
sendmail.cf back to defaults.  I've made my smart mail relay changes to
sendmail.mc, and have set appropriately:

dnl # Uncomment and edit the following line if your outgoing mail needs to
dnl # be sent out through an external mail server:
dnl #
dnl define(`SMART_HOST',`my.obscuredmailhost.com')
dnl #

I have also validated that the same host is set in the sendmail
configuration of Blueonyx.  However, every time that some update comes
out, it seems that my sendmail.cf gets clobbered, and I have to deal
with waiting for my phone to ring to hear that some email isn't going
out right because of the lack of the relay host in the sendmail.cf.

Execution of "make -C /etc/mail" as outlined in sendmail.mc does NOTHING
to my sendmail.cf, so I end up having to hand-edit the sendmail.cf to
just get mail up and running.

I'd like a consistently reliable method where I don't have to do this on
a regular basis, or I'm seriously going to have to just disable updates
and check them manually every few weeks when I have the time to install
them and check the sendmail configuration afterwards...

Please, there's GOT to be something that I'm doing wrong, or that I can
fix so that I don't have to babysit the update process, or disable it
entirely.

Thanks!

   -- Chad