[BlueOnyx:10335] Re: pdflib

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Apr 26 06:22:30 -05 2012

Hi Colin,

> We have a couple of users who want pdflib installed on one of our BX
> servers. Googling about there seem to be various ways of doing it (inc.
> adding repos and using yum).
>
> I would appreciate some advice on this - so as not to b* a server that is
> working fine at the moment ;)

The Solarspeed PHP-5.2.* and PHP-5.3.* come with the evaluation version PDFlib
preinstalled. It's version 8.0.3 at this time and unless you purchase a
license for it, PDFs generated with it will contain a watermark.

However, it has to be said that there are other royalty free solutions
available to generate PDFs from within PHP scripts. Methods which don't
require rebuilding PHP.

FPDF for example:

Tutorial:
http://www.fpdf.org/en/tutorial/tuto1.htm

The methods it uses are slightly different coding wise, but your script just
needs to include the FPDF library and can then use the functions. It's pretty
straightforward, royalty free and easy to use.