[BlueOnyx:11114] Re: SL6.2 no boot from degraded RAID1... with fix... BTW 6.3 is OK

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Aug 6 22:13:09 -05 2012

Hi Gerald,

> It appears to be fixed in CentOS-6.3 version of BlueOnyx

Yeah, I have read that. The confusing part is that Scientific Linux is
doing a staggered release at the moment.

The official OS version is SL-6.2. SL-6.3 is available for testing as
release candidate, but it is not finished yet.

However, many RPMs that have been pushed to the SL-6.2 YUM repository in
the last couple of weeks are already taken straight from SL-6.3.

So we got a bit of a hybrid there at the moment which contains bits and
pieces from SL-6.2 and some from SL-6.3.

To make things more confusing:

CentOS has 6.3 out, but a fair chunk of their 6.3 RPMs off the mirror
are older than the corresponding 6.3 RPMs that SL serves right now for
SL-6.2.

>From what I have gathered so far by looking at the bug tickets and the
outlined resolves:

Yes, this is fixable by using the work around you outlined in your
initial posting. However, I dare not to publish an automatic fix that
messes with rebuilding the initramfs. There is just too much that can go
wrong while running this work around unobserved somewhere during a
hastily cobbled together update. In fact I would still feel
uncomfortable fixing this in an update done by myself even if I had two
days (and the spare hardware) to test it out fully under all imaginable
scenarios that one could expect.

At this time we have about 2500 BlueOnyx 5107R and 5108R out there.
There is no telling how many of these use SL or CentOS or how many of
them use RAID1 to begin with. A fair chunk of these 2500 installs could
be VPS's and/or could be using no RAID or hardware RAID. So determining
the actual need is impossible.

All in all I'd rather wait until SL fixes this during the course of a
normal update. The release of SL-6.3 is pretty much overdue at this time
anyway.

Those who are in a hurry to get their RAID1 using SL based BlueOnyx
5107R and 5108R fixed can of course apply the work around.