[BlueOnyx:11238] Re: Yum Problem

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Aug 30 12:31:34 -05 2012

Hi Michael,

> ** Found 2 pre-existing rpmdb problem(s), 'yum check' output follows:
>
> glibc-2.12-1.80.el6_3.5.x86_64 is a duplicate with
> glibc-2.12-1.80.el6_3.4.x86_64
>
> glibc-common-2.12-1.80.el6_3.5.x86_64 is a duplicate with
> glibc-common-2.12-1.80.el6_3.4.x86_64
>

> How can I fix this duplicate rpm issue?

Sometimes when YUM gets interrupted for one reason or another, you may
end up with this kind of problem.

Typically each RPM is installed only in one versions. When there is an
update, the newer version of that RPM is installed and the RPM database
is updated to reflect the changes. If all goes well, the entries of the
older RPM of the same name are removed from the RPM database.

However, in your case the removal of the info of the old RPM didn't happen.

So let us take a look at it. YUM tells you which RPM is causing the
conflict.

In your case we know the name of the conflicting RPM is "glibc".

So check with "rpm -qa|grep glibc" what the RPM database has listed.

In your case the result will look like this:

glibc-2.12-1.80.el6_3.5.x86_64
glibc-2.12-1.80.el6_3.4.x86_64

So there may indeed be two RPMs of the same name, but with different
version numbers.

To clear the problem up, you have to remove the *newer* RPM from the RPM
database.

So do this:

rpm -e --justdb glibc-2.12-1.80.el6_3.5.x86_64

That will uninstall and remove the newer glibc RPM. Usage of the switch
"--justdb" will make sure that *just* the database entry is removed, but
no actual files will be removed.

Afterwards run "yum update" again. As we removed the newer glibc, YUM
will download and install the most recent version of it again.