[BlueOnyx:09518] Re: Clear\Empty User Mailbox

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Feb 3 18:09:46 -05 2012

Hi Stefano,

> It is possibile to clear (emptying the inbox and additional imap
> subfolders) the mailbox of a user or of an entire domain ?

Yes, you can simply delete the "mbox" file in the user's home directories. The
next time this user receives an email, the mbox file is recreated. However,
this doesn't delete any messages from IMAP folders if the users created these
folders and copied messages from the mailbox into the folders.

>  Basically i need to migrate only the users and domain configuration from a
> blue quartz appliance to a new blue onyx 506 one, mail messages are not
> needed since the users downloaded them via pop3.

If the users fetch their mail via POP3, then the mbox files usually should be
pretty small with just a system message in them. Unless they choose to delete
mails.

>  I've looked in the man pages of the cmu tools and there's the "-c export
> configuration only" switch, what exactly does this switch export\import ?

That switch exports just the configuration of sites and users. Without
webpages, mailboxes and stuff like that. So it may indeed be what you're
looking for.