[BlueOnyx:09531] Re: unknown filesystem type 'cifs'

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Sun Feb 5 23:53:20 -05 2012

Hi Don,

I'm not a expert on the CIFS filesystem, and so I didn't pay much attention to your earlier posts.

But I was just reviewing your message, and something caught my eye.  In your message, you said you tried "//172.18.10.171/storage /mnt/filesrv cifs rw,username=xxxx,password=xxxx,domain=xxxx" in the /etc/fstab file for automatically mounting that filesystem.

What caught my eye was the partition/block device/filesystem you defined to mount - "//172.18.10.171/storage".  I've never seen that before in a /etc/fstab file.  While I've almost always worked with local block devices (like local hard drive partitions), I've worked once or twice with NFS and SMBS file system.  So, lets see what we can figure out.

The man page for fstab specifies that the definition of a NFS mount will be <host>:<dir>, as in "172.18.10.171:/storage".  So if you're working with a NFS remote mount, you might try putting that in your /etc/fstab for the mount and then try mounting it with your previously mentioned command "mount -a".

And the second thought is that you might be trying to mount a remote windows share.  In the past, I've done that from the command line.  I used the command "smbmount //hostname/mount /mnt/localmountpoint -o username=xxxx,password=xxxxx".  But the smbmount command is shown as deprecated and not used any longer.  The man page for it indicated you should use "mount.cifs" (which is the same as mount -t cifs).

So, you might try "mount //172.18.10.171/storage /mnt/localmountpoint -t cifs -o user=xxxx,pass=yyyy"  And you might need to add "dom=windowsdomaniname" to the end.  Give that command a try, and see if it will mount your remote filesystem for you.

Let us know how it works out Don.

Chuck