[BlueOnyx:09643] Re: 5107R/5108R: Updated ISO images available

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Feb 19 22:00:18 -05 2012

Hi Ernie,

> When installing a new system from these new .iso images, should I be using
> 5107R or 5108R? The hardware will run either. Just curious as to what you
> think is the most "future proof" release, I hate doing upgrades :)

I wrote a bit about it on this page:

http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=version-info

Personally I prefer to use 5108R wherever possible, but 5107R and 5108R are
identical twins that both get the same love and attention.

Whenever updates are released, they will be released for both platforms at the
same time. We use the same source code for 5107R and 5108R. If platform
specific differences have to be addressed, we write code that works on both
platforms. At the worst there is an 'if' clause in the code that says: "If
compiled on 32-bit, do it this way. Else do it that way."

That code is then just compiled twice. Once on a 32-bit box and once on a 64-
bit box before both sets of patches hit the toplevel Yum repository at the
same time (+/-5 minutes apart, really).