[BlueOnyx:09644] Re: 5107R/5108R: Updated ISO images available

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Feb 19 22:17:03 -05 2012

Hi Chuck,

> But I understand how upstream changes can break things at lower levels.

Yeah, that always sneaks up to bite at unexpected moments.

Just with this CD builds it broke our usual and trusted build process for
ISO's. I only got it working again after lots of trial and error.

We use Revisor to roll up the CDs, which automatically resolves and fetches
all the dependencies, builds the installer and rolls up the first stage CD
kernel based on the latest kernel sources. Which saves hours of time compared
to how we used to build the 5106R CDs.

Just this time it fubar'ed on the kernel builds for the mini-Linux that the CD
uses to install the OS. The generated CD's would boot, but then they would
barf on missing kernel modules and you'd ended up with an installer that no
longer could see any hard disks or even the CD drive that you had just booted
off.

To get it working I had to grab the installer from the last good CD's back in
November and put it onto the new 5107R and 5108R CD's prior to release. To
clarify: The kernel I speak about is just the one for the CD installer itself.
The kernel that's used to boot BlueOnyx after it has been installed is the
very latest one.

In the longer run I'll see if I can find a fix for both the DiskDruid and the
kernel issue.