[BlueOnyx:10929] Re: Why refresh proftpd.conf when reboot ?

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Wed Jul 4 06:04:57 -05 2012

Hi Eiji

On 7/4/2012 3:17 PM, Eiji Hamano wrote:
> Hi  Chuck and Greg
> > That is your problem - right?
>
> It is great news.
> I  will be able to adapt it permanently to a specific server
> "ListOptions",
> until changing Proftp via YUM.
> However the time_stamp problem of Proftp is different from ListOptions.
> The problem might came from file /usr/share/zoneinfo,  I think.
> Greg
> I  created the clean test server that apply all yum updates.
> I will send the IP and psw to you personally.
> I pray that you are able to find out the root of the problem.
> The reproduce documenting are only 2 steps.
>    1,  Access the server with ftp via siteadmin,  not via admin.
>        Only the problem happen on user and siteadmin,  Not on admin.
>    2,  Please upload any file to any place on the server.
>        Then look the time_stamp.

On your server...

1. I logged in. Edited /etc/proftpd.conf - and added a SetEnv TZ line
2. Rebooted
3. Config file was unchanged.

The symptoms you reported initially "Why refresh proftpd.conf when
reboot ?" are untrue. BlueOnyx does NOT change or rebuild that file on
reboot. Sorry to again say this, but please in future provide clear
information in reporting a bug. We've wasted a lot of time talking about
this in the list - where the problem you have reported does not exist.

In your current email, you have now advised that the timezone in log
files is wrong when a non-admin user logs in. If I were to guess, this
would be related to the chrooting of end users into a vsite
environment.  The timezone file is in /etc/ ... When a non-admin user
logs in, it does a chroot. That chroot will not have access to /etc ....
If anyone knows how to configure a proftpd.conf file to overcome this
problem, we can investigate new code for blueonyx to make this happen by
default.

In my opinion, this symptom is NOT related to rebooting, nor is it
related to any blueonyx code changes. It would be a change in behavior
for proftpd. It might be a good idea Eiji to go to the
http://www.proftpd.org/ website and ask them for some help...

Regards,
Greg.