[BlueOnyx:10995] Re: Server error: '554 5.0.0 rewrite: excessive recursion (max 50), ruleset canonify'

Charles Bowman charlesbowman at wknet.co.uk
Sun Jul 22 11:29:25 -05 2012

DNS now looks good.

A couple of quick tests:
Check you have "mtbe.co.uk" in the GUI "Mailer Server Aliases" and *also* "
mail.mtbe.co.uk".
Save

[shell]
service sendmail restart
/usr/sbin/sendmail -bv postmaster at mtbe.co.uk

No luck, then check:

[shell]
more /etc/mail/local-host-names | grep mtbe.co.uk
-This should have 3 entries like: mtbe.co.uk, mail.mtbe.co.uk,www.mtbe.co.uk

[shell]
more /etc/mail/virtusertable | grep mtbe.co.uk
-Should give these entries plus a list of your
apache at www.mtbe.co.uk   apache
sys at www.mtbe.co.uk      sys
MAILER-DAEMON at www.mtbe.co.uk    MAILER-DAEMON
root at www.mtbe.co.uk     root
nobody at www.mtbe.co.uk   nobody
majordomo at www.mtbe.co.uk        site4-majordomo
majordomo-owner at www.mtbe.co.uk  site4-majordomo-owner
owner-majordomo at www.mtbe.co.uk  site4-owner-majordomo
@mtbe.co.uk     %1 at www.mtbe.co.uk
@www.mtbe.co.uk error:nouser No such user here
@mail.mtbe.co.uk        %1 at www.mtbe.co.uk

A couple of use recently had an issue with building a domain name with
"test.domain.tld"
then changing the hostname from "test" to "www".
This appeared to have worked but after tests we found the hostname value
are appended into
the "/etc/mail/access" file, so it find the old record (i.e. "test.") and
stops processing!
There should be no records in here for your domain:
[shell]
more /etc/mail/access | grep mtbe.co.uk

Good Luck