[BlueOnyx:11039] Re: ISP Traffic Increased

Ken - Precision Web Hosting, Inc kenlists at precisionweb.net
Sat Jul 28 23:04:46 -05 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Sikes" <jsikes at sikesland.com>
To: <blueonyx at blueonyx.it>
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2012 12:19 PM
Subject: [BlueOnyx:11037] ISP Traffic Increased

> Noticed that on the 22nd of July our bandwidth jumped from 325kbps to
> 8mbps at the 95th percentile on a BO 5106.  We have checked our log
> files and don't see anything that is different from prior log files.
> I did notice that we have select sites that are affected on the server
> and that it is not web or mail traffic.
>
> We checked with our ISP who can't/won't tell us anything more than
> that we have a lot of UDP traffic at the moment.  I have been checking
> everything I can think of and am looking for any suggestions.
>
> John Sikes
>
> --

Possibly your server is configured to act as a resolver to any IP.
If it is, turn off that capability.

     Open DNS servers - Ensures that none of the responding nameservers
allow open recursion.

Some or all nameservers responded to recursive queries. This should be
addressed as soon as possible. Open DNS servers (i.e. externally facing DNS
servers that answer recursively) increase the chances of cache poisoning,
can degrade performance of your DNS, and can cause your DNS servers to be
used in an attack (read RFC5358 section 4 for recommended nameserver
configuration). The nameservers that responded to recursive queries are:

ns2.appraiserswebservices.net. | 74.121.182.3
ns1.appraiserswebservices.net. | 74.117.239.194

----
Ken Marcus
Precision Web Hosting, Inc.
http://www.precisionweb.net