[BlueOnyx:10467] Re: Reboot on YUM updates

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.net
Mon May 7 05:09:16 -05 2012

On 05/06/2012 07:53 PM, Dr. Blunt wrote:
> ...is there a way to know when a YUM is downloaded that
> a BX reboot is necessary for the changes to take effect?
> Perhaps at some point when the line says: Complete!
> it could say: Complete! A reminder a reboot is required...

The only reason to reboot would be to load a new kernel.

> ...is there a way to limit the bandwidth during the download
> it seems the default is the max BW allowed. I have a T1 line
> and the seems to jump right near the 156Kbps just wondering
> if there is a throttle command I can give?

----------------  From 'man yum.conf' --------------------
throttle Enable bandwidth throttling for downloads. This option can be
expressed as a absolute data rate in bytes/sec. An SI prefix (k, M or G)
may be appended to the bandwidth value (eg. '5.5k' is 5.5 kilobytes/sec,
'2M' is 2 Megabytes/sec).

Alternatively, this option can specify the percentage of total bandwidth
to use (eg. '60%'). In this case the bandwidth option should be used to
specify the maximum available bandwidth.

Set to '0' to disable bandwidth throttling. This is the default.

bandwidth Use to specify the maximum available network bandwidth in
bytes/second. Used with the throttle option (above). If throttle is a
percentage and bandwidth is '0' then bandwidth throttling will be
disabled. If throttle is expressed as a data rate (bytes/sec) then this
option is ignored. Default is '0' (no bandwidth throttling).

So you would need to set bandwidth and throttle.
these parameters are not in yum.conf, just add them to the end of the
parameter list in /etc/yum.conf

--
Gerald Waugh
Front Street Networks - RaQware