[BlueOnyx:10565] Re: raid mismatch: How to troubleshoot/fix?

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.net
Mon May 14 08:52:51 -05 2012

On 05/13/2012 11:33 PM, Dudi Goldenberg wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> I’m guessing the second of the two mirrored drives has failed. Whats
> the next logical step? How do I tell if its truly defective or has just
> fallen out of sync due to a random glitch? Heck, how can I guarantee
> which drive is which in order to swap for a fresh one?
>
> Login as root, then 'cat /proc/mdstat'
>

> That will show you both the true status of the array, plus – if there is
> a failed drive, it will be easy to tell it from the other(s).

to determine the physical drive that failed execute
  smartctl -i -d ata /dev/sdx | grep Serial
for stata drives x is the drive letter 'a' 'b' 'c' and so forth

  smartctl -i /dev/hdx | grep Serial
for ide drives.

When you are ready to replace the drive check the serial numbers to
determine the correct drive to replace

--
Gerald