[BlueOnyx:10613] Re: New install BlueOnyx 5107R but cannot startup MailScanner

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri May 18 11:07:23 -05 2012

Mon Chan wrote:
> Hi Blue
>
> I new install BlueOnyx 5107R (iso install, download from blueonyx.it
> <http://blueonyx.it>), after yum update and install Mailscanner 4.84.5-2
> success.
> But cannot startup the mailscanner, cannot find any Mailscanner
> information in maillog.
>
> I success install mailscanner in BQ/BO 5106R, this is first time install
> mailscanner in 5107R.
>
> [root at ns1 log]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner stop
> Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
>          MailScanner:       [FAILED]
>          incoming sendmail: [  OK  ]
>          outgoing sendmail: [  OK  ]
> [root at ns1 log]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner start
> Starting MailScanner daemons:
>          incoming sendmail: [  OK  ]
>          outgoing sendmail: [  OK  ]
>          MailScanner:       [  OK  ]
> [root at ns1 log]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner status
> Checking MailScanner daemons:
>          MailScanner:       [FAILED]
>          incoming sendmail: [  OK  ]
>          outgoing sendmail: [  OK  ]

Hmmmm.  I am not aware of a MailScanner PKG for any version of BlueOnyx.
  I think the last MailScanner was an old Nuonce for BlueQuartz, which
of course should not be used.

I do not know if you're going to find any support for this on this list,
but you might check your /var/log/messages to see if anything is posted
in there.  Otherwise, you might want to find if binary locations have
changed that would affect MailScanner.  There are several subtle
differences between RHEL 5 (the basis for 5106R) and RHEL 6 (5107R and
5108R) that may be impacting your results.

But I would not be installing MailScanner on a production BlueOnyx
server at this point.  It is very inefficient, and unless you do some
major tuning, it doesn't work very well, either.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services