[BlueOnyx:11459] Re: yum update error - cannot resolve hostupdates.blueonyx.it

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Oct 2 09:17:04 -05 2012

David Thacker wrote:
> Hmmnn, I still get the same error message. Tried it last night when I saw
> your note, and again just now, as well as the cron event running it at the
> scheduled time.
>
> I did do the "yum clean all" a few times too.
>
> Should I try plugging in the IP address for the updates.blueonyx.it
> server, or ???

I would not recommend inserting just the IP address, since that could
possibly change, and that would be without notice so you'd wind up
seeing a failure again in the future.  I think it would just add more
possibility for confusion than it would to actually fix the issue you're
seeing.

Is your server getting good DNS resolution to the Internet?

I just tried a yum clean all and a yum update on some 5106R and 5108R
boxes (I don't think there's a single 5107R in our building, so I can't
try that) and both worked without issue.   Now, I should probably note
that we're located in the same building to updates.blueonyx.it and using
the same recursive nameservers.  But our recursive nameservers are not
the blueonyx.it authoritative DNS, so we're still at "arms length" as
far as that goes.

What happens when you do this:
# host updates.blueonyx.it

--