[BlueOnyx:11464] Re: yum update error - cannotresolve hostupdates.blueonyx.it

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Oct 2 09:48:40 -05 2012

David Thacker wrote:
>> Is your server getting good DNS resolution to the Internet?
>
> I believe so.
>
>> What happens when you do this:
>> # host updates.blueonyx.it
>
> [root at bx etc]# host updates.blueonyx.it
> updates.blueonyx.it has address 38.114.102.5

OK, that's good news.

> It seems to resolve the IP just fine with that command. That's the same IP
> I see when I ping the updates host.

But if you yum update, you're still not able to resolve?

It sure smells like a DNS issue to me, but both the nameservers for
blueonyx.it are functional:

# nslookup
 > server ns1.solarspeed.net
Default server: ns1.solarspeed.net
Address: 208.77.221.200#53
 > updates.blueonyx.it
Server:         ns1.solarspeed.net
Address:        208.77.221.200#53

Name:   updates.blueonyx.it
Address: 38.114.102.5
 > server ns2.solarspeed.net
Default server: ns2.solarspeed.net
Address: 208.67.251.185#53
 > updates.blueonyx.it
Server:         ns2.solarspeed.net
Address:        208.67.251.185#53

Name:   updates.blueonyx.it
Address: 38.114.102.5

FWIW, those nameservers are on different systems.  An temporary outage
at one of them should not cause any issues.

What nameservers are you using for your recursive?  Are they ones
provided by your datacenter / ISP?

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services