[BlueOnyx:11487] Re: Network interface problem

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Oct 4 15:52:34 -05 2012

Jeff Folk wrote:
> Had a hardware failure last night… My trusty, dusty Dimension 5150 finally croaked. So, to get my hobby server up again, I swapped the drives into a spare Optiplex GX 620. Booted with no problems, or so I thought…
>
> I get an admin mail stating that eth1 is down (eth1 is my on-board nic, set to local IP). When I look at my active interfaces, I have loop,  eth0 (3com pci card, public IP) and a p2p1 which is down. Defined interfaces are eth0, eth1, and loop.
>
> Also getting swatch emails stating:
>
> /usr/sausalito/swatch/bin/am_network.sh: line 64: [: too many arguments
>
> Google states that there has been a change in hardware naming, and I guess I'm getting caught in changing hardware after OS install. They suggest adding a line to grub.conf (biosdevname=0).
>
> Will this set me straight? What are the suggestions of the group? At the moment this only kills my nightly ftp backup to my other server over LAN, which I would really like to get back…

First things first.... open up your
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file and see if there is a MAC
address hard-coded in there.   It will be a line that starts with:
HWADDR

If there is, just comment out that line, then restart network and see
what happens.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services