[BlueOnyx:11520] Re: Aventurin problem

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Oct 12 04:03:07 -05 2012

Hi Steffan,

> Hope someone or Michael can help
> My aventurin server is starting to crash
> Last 3 days 2 times and today 2 times
> So total of 4 times in the past 3 days
>
> It could be a hardware problem but i also notices after the reboot the
> server spitssout this messages
> kernel: Route hash chain too long!
> kernel: Adjust your secret_interval!

The error messages you see there are not really related. But if the box
is that unstable, then it's indeed looking like a hardware problem.

On a system that does virtualization you've got a much higher IO load
and RAM utilization. Which leaves little tolerance for errors or
hardware quirks. Typically if such a system gets unstable like this, the
cause is often bad RAM. To some degree /var/log/messages might shed some
light on it, but often the RAM related lockups or crashes happen so fast
that syslog has no chance to take note of them.

So yes, best bet would be to replace the hardware. If you have some
spare RAM lying around, it might be worthwhile to swap out the RAM and
see if it makes a difference. But it could also be a problem with the
motherboard.

In case you're doing a reinstall on newer hardware: Offlist I'll send
you a download link to the latest ISO via email.