[BlueOnyx:11571] Re: Sendmail Authentication errors

Larry Smith lesmith at ecsis.net
Sun Oct 21 16:08:41 -05 2012

On Sun October 21 2012 14:48, Will Nordmeyer wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 19:43:34 -0600
> > From: "David Thacker" <David at ThackerNet.com>
> > Subject: [BlueOnyx:11566] Re: Sendmail Authentication errors
> >
> >> Suddenly, with no real changes by me, I've got a few users who try to
> >> send mail either via outlook or their iphone and they get 'Relaying
> >> denied. Proper authentication required.'
> >>
> >> I had them check their mail and then do a send, but it still occurs.
> >>
> >> In the end (because I had limited debug time) I had to put their IP in
> >> access as a RELAY.
> >>
> >> What else could be causing this to suddenly happen?
> >
> > Another cause of this behaviour may be if the user's account or their IP
> > address (host) is blocked due to excessive failed logins.
> >
> > Log in to the server as admin, and go to the Security > Failed Logins
> > menu. If you see those users on either the Blocked Hosts tab or the
> > Blocked Users tab, click on the "Reset all blocks" button to unblock
> > them.
> >
> > dAvid tHacker                                  Email:
> > David at ThackerNet.com Thacker Network Technologies Inc.
> > Http://www.ThackerNet.com
>
> David,
>
> Thanks for the thought - I'd checked and there were not host blocks or
> user blocks.  I just don't see why it just started up in the past 3-4
> days.

If you are running poprelayd, then login (ssh) and make sure it is running
and that their IP address is listed as a valid relay (after they check mail).
(command is poprelayd -p)
Better solution is to move them the authenticated (SMTP-AUTH, port 587)
then you don't have to worry about poprelay (as much)...

I have also had a few servers I had to manually enable "DELAY_CHECKS"
parameter in sendmail.mc so that it checks the poprelay and smtp-auth
before checking from RBL listed hosts.

--
Larry Smith
lesmith at ecsis.net