[BlueOnyx:11626] Re: BIND config

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Fri Oct 26 21:46:14 -05 2012

At 06:51 PM 10/26/2012, Michael Stauber wrote:
>"Network Services" / "DNS". Then see the "Advanced" tab. It's the option
>that's called "Cache Record Lookups". The mouseover help text explains
>it: "Enabling caching, also called recursion, allows resolution of
>domains and network zones that other name servers are authoritative for.
>Disabling caching is useful when operating this server on a private
>network."

        And I can confirm that this option
        does have an effect. Unchecking it
        may stop recursion, but it also
        stops all outgoing email ... saying
        "host unknown"

        I've looked at the other settings,
        There are three boxes right now...
        Forwarding servers:  No entry
        Zone Transfer Access by IP Address:
                208.xx.xx.xx
                208.xx.xx.xx0
                65.xxx.xx.xx
                209.xxx.xx.xx
        and
        Query Request Recursion Access by IP Address:
                127.0.0.1/30
                208.xx.xxx.x/24

        I have deleted the 65.xxx and 209.xxx but
        that seems to have no effect. If the cache
        box is checked, I can send email, if not,
        I get error messages, like this one:

        "domain of sender xxxxxxx at gmail.com does not exist"

        thanks!