[BlueOnyx:11643] Re: Serious issues with Kernel 2.6.32-279.11.1.el6

Jason Ozin bluequartz at ozin.com
Tue Oct 30 16:59:21 -05 2012

With very many thanks to Jean-Dominique Leca how mailed me with the
following that worked

============================
Hello,

This is "fixed".
If you're using an i686 kernel, you have to rebuild the Hyper-V components
against the 2.6.32-279.11.1.el6 kernel.
Don't know why it wasn't necessary with the x86_64 kernel.

prerequisites :
- remove the hyper-v components
- boot using the latest kernel (2.6.32-279.11.1.el6)
- if necessary, add a legacy network card for remote access (facilitates
operations).

Steps to rebuild :
- setup a working rpmbuild infrastructure
(http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SetupRpmBuildEnvironment,
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/RebuildSRPM)
- install the kernel-devel package
- from the LinuxICv34 iso and as a normal user, install the src.rpm package
(rpm -ivh microsoft-hyper-v-rhel63.3.4-1.20120727.src.rpm)
- this will install an hyper-v.spec file into your ~/rpmbuild/SPECS
directory
- as a normal user, cd to ~/rpmbuild/SPECS and run 'rpmbuild -bb
microsoft-hyper-v.spec'
- this will compile the hyper-v components agains your current kernel and
build the related rpm packages.
- install the new RPMs, first kmod-microsoft-hyper-v and after
microsoft-hyper-v (rpm -ivh .).

The issue is related to the ata_piix driver, when the hyper-v components are
working, this driver is removed and replaced with the hv_storvsc driver
(/etc/modprobe.d/hyperv_pvdrivers.conf : install ata_piix  { /sbin/modprobe
hv_storvsc 2>&1 || /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ata_piix; }

I wasted some time because my first approach was to patch the ata_piix
driver, but it turns out to be quite unsuccessful (i even try to backport
some code from the 3.6 branch, guess what happened.).
So the obvious fix is to rebuild the hyper-v components.