[BlueOnyx:11264] Re: reset user_beancounters

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Sep 3 11:22:47 -05 2012

Hi Richard,

That might be the wrong topic for this list. But I'll answer it for the
archives:

> How can we reset user_beancounters for VPS's in Aventurine
> The indicator stays red or yellow will not go green again.
>
> I have rebooted the vps have turned it off for 10min, 15 and 20 min
> does not change stay red or yellow.
>
> Any ideas or thoughts?

A "red" status means: Errors (failcounts) present and they happened in
the last 15 minutes.

A "yellow" status means: Errors were present, but in the last 15 minutes
no more errors happened.

So typically a "red" should prompt you to investigate which VPS
resource parameter had the error. Then see if it makes sense to increase
the resource allocation for that parameter.

A "yellow" can be ignored.

Sure, it would be beneficial to erase a "yellow" flag after a while. But
the underlying beancount will not be reset by itself.

In the past a restart of the VPS would wipe its failcounters. Then
OpenVZ changed it and only a restart of the service "vz" itself would
reset the failcounters. Which is not really desirable, as you'd reboot
all VPS's with that command.

Finally OpenVZ changed the code in a fashion that only a master node
reboot would erase the failcounters, which is a bit nuts.

This external tool might do the trick, but messing with kernel flags at
runtime is a bit touch and go in my eyes. Especially if it's only for
"cosmetic" reasons.