[BlueOnyx:11266] ProFTPD questions

Marcello Torchio lellozone at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 04:02:13 -05 2012

Hi everyone,

i've two questions about proFTPD daemon.
First of all i'm running BO 5108R server,

I was looking for something to ban IPs that try to access ftp service using
dictionary based attacks. I've found in /etc/proftpd.conf the configuration
file of proFTPD daemon. I've read documentation about its structure and the
mod_ban module. When i type "service proftpd status" on terminal, system
tells me that there is no proFTPD daemon running on the system. If i try to
connect via FTP on my server the connection works great. So, with FTP
connection opened, i typed on terminal "lsof -i" to see running processes
and their binded ports. I've found a process named "in.proftpd" binded to
port 21 on my FTP connection. This behavior is right or not?

The second question is about the usage of hosts.allow/deny files. Is it
possible to exclude determinate IPs to access FTP service? I am already
using these files to exclude everyone, except a few adresses, to avoid ssh
access.

Thanks