[BlueOnyx:11309] Re: Problem setting 5107R to german

Christoph Schneeberger cschnee at box.telemedia.ch
Tue Sep 11 10:54:51 -05 2012

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply.

 >> I have just finished setting up a 5107R in a OpenVZ VPS and the first
>> thing the customer did is switching to german GUI language.
>> After this all GUI msgs went untranslated and showed up raw. A reboot or
>> cced restart didn't fix it. Also the language selection was empty so it
>> was impossible to set it back to english which worked.
>>

>> In all cases the menus show untranslated/raw msg strings.
>
> Is this an OpenVZ template I did (i.e.: from www.blueonyx.it or
> updates.aventurin.net?)

No, I got it from blueonyx.it:
scientific-6.1-blueonyx_5107R-BX15.20111108_i386

> Or did you fetch an OpenVZ OS template from somewhere else and then
> installed BlueOnyx on it?

I am not that naughty ;)

> On a BlueOnyx 5107R or 5108R your /etc/sysconfig/i18n will look like
> this if you switch the GUI to German for user "admin":
>
> [root at 5108r]# cat /etc/sysconfig/i18n
> LANG=de_DE
> LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
> LINGUAS="en_US da_DK de_DE ja_JP"
>
> That is really all that's needed to do.
>
> However, some of the "precreated" OS templates from openvz.org "cheat".
> In order to create a really small tarball, they strip the RPM
> "glibc-common" down and remove all foreign language support but the one
> English. They do this to conserve space and to create a really small OS
> template.
>
> When you then try to switch the OS to a different language but English,
> then you will get really unpredictable results as the ones you're seeing
> there. Without a complete "glibc-common" the translation will not work
> for anything but English.
>
> How to check:
>
> rpm -V glibc-common
>
> This should report if files are missing from that RPM.

This says that almost all files have changed in size (S) and the md5sum
(5). Should I start to feel slightly uncomfortable now ? ;-)

> rpm -q --info glibc-common
>
> That should show the RPM header.
>
> On an SL-6.3 with BlueOnyx 5107R it reads like this:
>
> [root at 5107r 5.3.16-SOL1]# rpm -q --info glibc-common
> Name        : glibc-common                 Relocations: (not relocatable)
> Version     : 2.12                              Vendor: Scientific Linux
> Release     : 1.80.el6_3.5                  Build Date: Mo 27 Aug 2012
> 16:55:12 CEST
> Install Date: Di 28 Aug 2012 06:02:36 CEST      Build Host: sl6.fnal.gov
> Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
> glibc-2.12-1.80.el6_3.5.src.rpm
> Size        : 112279494                        License: LGPLv2+ and
> LGPLv2+ with exceptions and GPLv2+
> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mo 27 Aug 2012 17:53:05 CEST, Key ID
> b0b4183f192a7d7d
> Packager    : Scientific Linux
> URL         : http://sources.redhat.com/glibc/
> Summary     : Common binaries and locale data for glibc
> Description :
> The glibc-common package includes common binaries for the GNU libc
> libraries, as well as national language (locale) support.

Mine looks slightly different, it looks like I have 2 different
glibc-common to me:

Name        : glibc-common   Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.12           Vendor: Scientific Linux
Release     : 1.25.el6       Build Date: Fri 20 May 2011 11:24:43 PM CEST
Install Date: Wed 09 Nov 2011 01:32:57 AM CET      Build Host:
spacewalk.fnal.gov
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
glibc-2.12-1.25.el6.src.rpm
Size        : 112238478                        License: LGPLv2+ and
LGPLv2+ with exceptions and GPLv2+
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sat 21 May 2011 02:56:41 PM CEST, Key ID
b0b4183f192a7d7d
Packager    : Scientific Linux
URL         : http://sources.redhat.com/glibc/
Summary     : Common binaries and locale data for glibc
Description :
The glibc-common package includes common binaries for the GNU libc
libraries, as well as national language (locale) support.
Name        : glibc-common                 Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.12                              Vendor: Scientific Linux
Release     : 1.80.el6_3.5                  Build Date: Mon 27 Aug 2012
04:55:12 PM CEST
Install Date: Sun 09 Sep 2012 07:35:16 PM CEST      Build Host: sl6.fnal.gov
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
glibc-2.12-1.80.el6_3.5.src.rpm
Size        : 112279494                        License: LGPLv2+ and
LGPLv2+ with exceptions and GPLv2+
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 27 Aug 2012 05:53:05 PM CEST, Key ID
b0b4183f192a7d7d
Packager    : Scientific Linux
URL         : http://sources.redhat.com/glibc/
Summary     : Common binaries and locale data for glibc
Description :

> Check the "Vendor" and "Build Host" field to see if yours was built on
> something else than what you'd expect for your distribution.
>
> I have seen "precreated" OS templates from openvz.org which had the
> original "glibc-common", but which had manually removed the other
> locales, but I have also seen OS templates with a custom "glibc-common"
> RPM which was missing the locales to begin with.
>
> The obvious fix for this situation is to replace your glibc-common with
> the one that would usually be installed on your OS. So you'd have to get
> it via YUM or by manually downloading and installing it with the RPM
> command.

I have tried a "yum reinstall glibc-common" as I think I have a pretty
vanilla VPS from the template. No special repos, nothing. This
complained about 2 glibc-common rpms. So I removed the 1.25.el6 which
worked fine and tried again to "yum reinstall glibc-common" which
results now in the following error:

Downloading Packages:
glibc-common-2.12-1.80.el6_3.5.i686.rpm
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
   Installing : glibc-common-2.12-1.80.el6_3.5.i686      1/1
Error in POSTIN scriptlet in rpm package glibc-common-2.12-1.80.el6_3.5.i686
error: %post(glibc-common-2.12-1.80.el6_3.5.i686) scriptlet failed,
signal 11
   Verifying  : glibc-common-2.12-1.80.el6_3.5.i686
                                                       1/1

Failed:
   glibc-common.i686 0:2.12-1.80.el6_3.5

I haven't checked now if this already solves the GUI language problem I
described as the VPS in production already and I want to resolve the
above problem first.

Cheers,
Christoph