[BlueOnyx:11326] Re: 5108R FTPS

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Sep 14 06:19:35 -05 2012

Michael Stauber wrote:
> Yeah, FileZilla is a bit "special". I'm just trying to avoid to say
> "retarded".

It's never been my first choice, either. But tell that to the customer
who says "well I use it for everything else and it just works, so it's
your problem."

> With that I get "explicit FTP" over TLS working with FileZilla when I
> connect to port 990.
>
> The catch here is that our current implementation through xinetd doesn't
> allow us to use port 990. So ProFTPd has to be switched to stand alone
> mode and usage of port 990 has to be specified in the TLS section.

Alright, I did all that, and tried connecting "explicit" and now it
errors like this:

Status:	Resolving address of www.domain.com
Status:	Connecting to 208.x.y.z:21...
Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response:	220 ProFTPD 1.3.4a Server (ProFTPD server) [::ffff:208.x.y.z]
Command:	AUTH TLS
Response:	500 AUTH not understood
Command:	AUTH SSL
Response:	500 AUTH not understood
Error:	Critical error
Error:	Could not connect to server

And now I found something new.  The main IP on the server is different
than the IP of the domain (due to the fact that the domain uses SSL).
If I connect to the main IP of the server, then it works OK.

So it's working, and I can probably live with that, but the result is a
little cumbersome for the customer, since they're accustomed to being
able to use their domain as the FTP host, and not some other IP address.

I wonder if that can be made to work, or if that is a pipe-dream.
--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services