[BlueOnyx:11346] Re: IP Issues

George F. Nemeyer tigerwolf at tigerden.com
Tue Sep 18 09:56:39 -05 2012

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012, Matt James wrote:

> Our thought at this point is to:
> * Update all the sites to use C.C.C.C (automatically creating a new alias)
> * Remove the A.A.A.A alias

I had a similar problem.

>From my experience, an alias gets created any time you set a site's
address to something different than the box itself is set for in the
main server settings.

Once you remove the manually set IP x.x.x.x for every site using that, the
alias entry should go away.  Setting all the sites to C.C.C.C as you
propose should remove the A.A.A.A alias.

After the conflicting aliases is gone, you should be able to set the box
IP in the server config section.

> * Boot in to single-user mode
> * Change the IP in a few key files to get it to boot

This shouldn't be necessary as long as you have access to the box at the
currently set B.B.B.B address.

> * Update the IP in BlueOnyx as well.

You should be able to change the box address from the front panel.  You
*might* try that rather than the GUI...it may have less error checking.
If that works, it might be wise to re-set all the site IPs so any aliases
entries to the same IP gets removed.

> * Change all the sites back to A.A.A.A

Yes.

> * Remove the extra alias C.C.C.C

That should go away once you change all the sites from C.C.C.C to back to
the new box address.

> Obviously, this is quite a bit of work.  We just wanted to check in to
> see if anyone had any better ideas of how to go about this.

Fortunately, there were only about 4-5 sites on our box, so it was pretty
easy.

I presume that the reason for not changing all the site addresses and
keeping site aliases is to allow for the server IP to change without
disturbing the sites (since they all may have external DNS pointing to the
original IPs).  Changing the box IP to an already set alias number may be
too much of an odd case for the UI to deal with.  Having robust code to
deal with 'edge' events probably wasn't seen as necessary, given that IP
changes are usually rare events.

I've noticed that with the box and all its sites at the same IP (x.x.x.x),
the log for httpd gripes something like "Server x.x.x.x has no vhosts"
when it starts up, but everything seems to work.

=^_^=  Tigerwolf