[BlueOnyx:11355] Re: 5108R FTPS

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Sep 19 16:37:06 -05 2012

Hey Michael,

Michael Stauber wrote:
> There is also something else that I have been thinking about off and on:
> The introduction of a shell called "scponly". It would allow limited
> shell access to a user. Limited in so far that he can use SCP to upload
> files, but cannot use SSH to get a bash. That would come in handy in so
> far as we could say: We support SFTP (if shell access or SCPonly is
> enabled for the user), but forget about FTPS, which we won't support.
>
> This would save us a lot of hassles such as having to have extra vhost
> containers in proftpd.conf for every IP where we want to use FTPS on.

I love this idea.  I find SFTP / SCP to be preferable over FTPS anyhow.
  Causing less overhead in terms of proftpd.conf and elsewhere is a good
reason to pursue it, but I think the majority of our customers who have
inquired have been asking about SFTP or SCP, and have not been
interested in FTPS unless we push.   Maybe others have had similar (or
not) experiences.

So long as the user remains jailed and isn't going to go around viewing
directories he shouldn't be in, I'm a big fan of this proposal.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services