[BlueOnyx:11367] Re: How to add new virtual site?

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Sun Sep 23 19:04:45 -05 2012

Fred,

It seems that you must be new to BlueOnyx and haven't had a chance to learn what it does, or how it works.  BlueOnyx is a complete management system for hosting multiple virtual websites.  Its a direct descendent of Cobalt's RAQ virtual hosting servers, and a previous project known as BlueQuartz.  The management system runs on top of a Linux operating system - today its typically on top of Centos or Scientific Linux.  And its very powerful - one of the companies I supports has over 70 virtual websites on one server.

But BlueOnyx doesn't use /var/www/html directory that most bare Linux installations use.  After you use the BlueOnyx management GUI to create a new website, the system creates all the the directories for the new virtual site.  They will be /home/sites/hostname.domain.tld/web.  So if you created the site www.xxxx.org, you'll find a directory for the site's files under /home/sites/www.xxxx.org/web/.

But here's the best part - if you create a user under that site, and make them a "site admin" (by checking that box when creating the user) - that user can FTP to their site ftp://www.xxxx.org, and they'll be dropped directly into that site's /web directory.  So no navigating up-directory and down-directory to find /www.xxxx.org/web - just FTP in as a site admin and upload your site's files.

And its probably better to FTP in as a "site admin" of that site.  Because if you FTP in as a "server admin" or as root - all that site's files will belong to someone outside that site, and you'll run into problems.

Good luck.  And consider browsing through the BlueOnyx manual.  Log into the GUI, click the question mark at the top right of the screen, and click the small globe at right to read the "BlueOnyx Hosting Edition Manual (English)".  It explains a lot of information that will assist you in building, loading, and managing a BlueOnyx virtual hosting server.

Chuck