[BlueOnyx:11389] Re: Fund-raising for a modern BlueOnyx theme

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Sep 24 22:54:43 -05 2012

Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you all know, the GUI interface of BlueOnyx ain't that stylish. It
> gets the job done, but the actual design and the look and feel of the
> GUI itself date back to the middle of the 1990's.
>
> We want to change that and want to bring a new and modern look to the
> BlueOnyx GUI interface. Something that will work well in modern browsers
> and even on mobile devices and tablets.
>
> We found a beautiful template for an admin interface, which would be
> ideal for BlueOnyx.
>
> However, it's a commercial template, professionally done, well supported
> and well documented. And it costs money.
>
> The author of the template has given his general consent for usage and
> has given us quite a discount, but for an open source project that lives
> from the good will and donations of it's sponsors and users that's still
> a handful.
>
> So we'd like to ask you for donations.
>
> To read more about this, to see what the new GUI could look like and to
> possibly make a donation, please take a look at the URL below:
>
> http://www.blueonyx.it/fundraising/
>
> Thank you!
>
> P.S.: It will take some effort to integrate the new theme into BlueOnyx
> and it will probably take some weeks until it can be published. But the
> result will sure be worth it.

I'd just like to add... there has been considerable discussion about
this project already among the development team and its advisors.
Michael has done a great job of taking in a lot of diverse comments and
has agreed to spearhead the work.  Many of us are really excited about
the promise of this project, and how it can help to further BlueOnyx.

That's something that should not be overlooked.  We all get to enjoy
BlueOnyx for free.  Many of us have used it (and its predecessors) and
continue to use it to make an income.  We already know BlueOnyx works
great.  Now imagine if it was just as sexy as some of the commercial
packages out there, but retains the functionality, reliability, and
history that we know and love.  The more competitive BlueOnyx gets, the
better off all of us are.

This could also help to increase adoption of BlueOnyx.  That's also a
good thing because the more users there are, the larger the audience
gets for commercial add-ons from the development partners like
Solarspeed and Compass.  The healthier those guys are, the better able
they are to provide us with innovative packages at reasonable costs.

I myself, as well as my company VIRTBIZ, have been proud supporters of
BlueOnyx since before BlueOnyx existed.  I'm extremely excited about
what this project means for BlueOnyx's future.

To my mind, there's not one of us using BlueOnyx that can't part with a
little bit of a donation.  Even $5 here and there will do some good.
http://www.blueonyx.it/fundraising/

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services