[BlueOnyx:11421] Re: 5108R IPv6 fun fact [dovecot issue solved]

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Sep 25 11:10:33 -05 2012

Hi Stephanie,

> I agree and I think that Michael and others are thinking that way. I
> would like to see support for both IPV4 and IPV6 concurrently. I think
> IPV4 is going to be with us for a looong time.

I agree. And yes, IPv4 will be with us for so a long time. Then again,
we can't ignore IPv6 indefinitely.

There are several ways of how IPv6  could be implemented into BlueOnyx.
Good, bad and ugly. Some of the thinking went like this: Make a
dedicated version for IPv6 support only and retain the IPv4 version as a
separate platform. There was also (briefly) the thinking about using
some kind of mapping (I forgot what it was called). It's basically a
software stack that allows to run an IPv4 network stack on top of an
IPv6 network. Which is a bad idea for so many reasons, so that idea got
dumped quickly.

In the end it might be the best (but also the most complicated) approach
to provide both IPv4 and IPv6 capability at the same time.

Chris was so kind to make an IPv6 network available in our test area, so
eventually I might get to play around with that, too.

Still: I doubt that I'll be able to tackle IPv6 this year.